Advice for Christians in a Changing America

We are living in a land divided by race, religion, gender and politics. Yes, I said it, “We are a divided nation.” Now I know that others have said it before me and many continue to say it because they see it. We are witnessing protests and riots on an unprecedented level across our country with hatred spewed toward anyone with a different point of view. It is the age of intolerance of tolerance! This is a time of cultural confusion and a chaotic clash of ideas. Moral relativism is rampant on one end of the spectrum while moral deism exists on the other end. Somewhere in between are those trying to make sense of it all.

The church has a great opportunity to confront these challenges by stepping into the confusion and revealing a clear path forward. However, the church has to walk in wisdom while remaining committed to the gospel of Jesus Christ. After all, we are living in a post-Christian era.

So what are some things that Christians and the Church should avoid in this fast changing world where we live?

Avoid the Allure of the Right-Left Game of Politics

Evangelical Christians tend to wear their feelings and faith on the very surface of their skin. When barely touched, their sensitivities poor through profusely in an attempt to protect the character and integrity of God – as if He needed the help. Liberal Christians are no different as their sensitivities are revealed in an attempt to humanize God – as if God were like us.

The real problem is when these sensitivities cause these Christians to take political sides. Christianity is not conservative or progressive. True Christianity is Christ centered and gospel driven. There is only one King – Jesus; and only one cause – the gospel of His Kingdom! It is critical that we love our country and care for it with patriot pride. But the Kingdom of God should take a higher priority in our devotion. When it does, then our sensitivities will be toward God’s heart rather than man’s politics and philosophies.

Love for our enemies and grace for the indifferent are missing ingredients in the life of many professing Christians. By taking a political stand rather than a Biblical one, it puts a Christian at odds with his calling to be a ‘minister of reconciliation’. Now this does not mean that we can’t take a position on a certain issue so long as that issue is first and foremost Biblically clear. But our positions must be in a spirit of concern for the wellbeing of all human beings and most of all the glory of our Lord.

The left-right game is too often shrouded in who has the power or the upper hand despite what it may cost the human community. Certainly our Lord is for a righteous society. However, He never intends for righteousness to be gained in an unrighteous manner. Actually, this could never happen anyway! Jesus gained life for us through His own death. There is not a better example than this as to how to change the world. Politics of right and left will never achieve a proper outcome. It is more about life and death. What brings life and what brings death? These are where Christians should focus their attention. When we do, compassion for all people will drive our behavior and we will refuse to get caught up in the politics of men.

Avoid the Attraction of the Social Media Soap Box

I have believed for some time that social media could be a great tool to touch people’s lives and even share the gospel with others. I have used it primarily to stay in touch with people that live far from us. I have also used it to communicate with those I care for as a pastor. There can be great fruit from using social media in the right way.

However, it can also be used to reveal what is in the heart of a person. I have seen it cause strife, division, broken marriages and end friendships. I have seen comments infuriate easygoing people who then respond in ways I would have never imagined before.

Social media has become an outlet for people to climb up on their soapbox and tell the world just what they think about this or that. Of course I’m not opposed to free speech and honest sharing of hearts. What I am concerned with is when Christians who claim to follow Christ spew venom toward the very people we are commanded to love, serve and pray for. Now I, like everyone else, have deep convictions and beliefs. I certainly stand for things I believe are right. I have no problem sharing those things and listening to others and their viewpoints. But there is a way to communicate that is honorable and productive. Some Christians fail to realize what our real responsibility is in this life. It is to represent Christ in all things. It is not to represent the Republicans, the Democrats, the Tea Party, Black Lives Matter or any other special interest group. We are to be image bearers of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ – King of all creation!

I want to encourage expression and dialogue. More than that I want to encourage wisdom, civility, humility, grace, love and a passion for others – even to those that make you mad with their Facebook posts. Remember, our aim is to win people over – not to ourselves or to a political position or to a particular philosophy – but to a loving God who through Christ offers life more abundantly!

Avoid the Appearance of the Stubborn, Uncaring Hypocrite

The one thing that I never want to be accused of by those outside the church is ‘a stubborn, uncaring hypocrite’. It would break my heart to know that someone without Jesus would see me as such. Why? It is because I would have no credibility and therefore no capacity to share Christ in an effective manner.

Unfortunately, too many Christians are viewed as not credible because they come across stubborn (arrogant) and uncaring. And before we speak and say that this is going to be the case because of the world’s natural hatred of Christians. Let’s be honest and realize that there is a great deal of truth in many instances. Christians can be self-righteous even arrogant because after all we have the “truth”. But do we exhibit the truth? You see, truth is not conceptual – in other words, it is not about having the right ideas. Truth is an individual. To possess truth is to exhibit the nature of that truth. Since Truth is the person of Christ, then as followers of Christ our nature would be Christ-like.

We are called to bring healing to a sick world. To do so, we must put away the flesh and take up the nature of a compassionate, caring Christ. We must refrain from hypocritical behavior – claiming one thing and living another. We should lay aside our agendas and our self-righteousness. We should avoid isolationism and speak and display the truth in love aiming to bring healing and unity in Christ. And lest you think this will not work, let me close with a personal example.

A few years ago, I was asked to participate in a debate at the local college on the issue of “Same Sex Marriage” during the Prop 8 legislation in California. The debate was tense and rather heated at times, primarily from the audience as well as the pro-same sex marriage side. My goal was to be a kind, loving, gentle and sincere listener to the other side. At one point, the lady representing the LGBTQ community made a generalization about Christians and pastors who were unloving, uncaring, and not concerned with the well-being of people like her. I immediately turned and looked her square in the face and repented for our attitude towards her and the lack of care shown to her. I told her that I loved her in front of 1,000 people in attendance and I saw it penetrate her heart. After the debate, I quickly went to her to make sure she knew that I meant what I said. With tears in her eyes, she said to me, “I actually believe you!” Then she hugged me and said, “Thank you!”

My intent in participating in such an event was not to win a debate but to win a heart. I have no idea what has happened to her. I do not know what the end result of the debate was or whose minds were changed. It does not matter to me. What I left most pleased about was that I was able to share the love of Christ with someone who held a different view than my own and it was received. I may not have changed her mind, but I believe I touched her heart and perhaps planted a seed that could grow into something beautiful.

We are living in tumultuous and chaotic times. The church must rise up and be the church we were intended to be since its inception in an Upper Room two thousand years ago. Now, some will receive that to mean a militant, aggressive, warrior church standing for right and holding strong to certain standards and legal codes. Anyone who knows me knows that I have strong convictions and beliefs concerning what God wants in His created order. I am a man who believes the Word of God and holds to its authority over all of life. But the Spirit of God must be our life as we reach out and obey the greatest commandment as defined by Jesus, “Love God and love your neighbor as yourself!” It’s not about being militant and mean. It is about being merciful and meaningful in the lives of people God has put in our path. My encouragement is that we do so with great humility, concern and a consistent lifestyle of grace and Christ-likeness.


2017 is the 500th anniversary of the Great Reformation of 1517. I am hopeful that the church will re-evaluate its role in the earth and experience a reformation of heart. May it lead us to be far more effective than we have been in recent years; may we keep Christ foremost in our hearts and minds; may we live out the gospel by loving people no matter who they are or what they believe. For this is our divine mandate from Heaven above!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tammy, My Love and My Life!

"The Simple Gospel - Is it so Simple?"

Sounding the Trump is Not an Injustice to Trump