THE POWER OF SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINES - Uncommon Patterns: The Way of the Kingdom

Spiritual Disciplines makes Christianity Christ-like.  It makes our purpose practical and our days disciplined in spiritual behavior pleasing to our God.  And of course we know that to please God, we must be full of faith.  I once stated that Spiritual disciplines are an expression of a committed life.  Today I want to expand on that by saying that spiritual disciplines are the expression of a faith filled life!

“And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.”  (Hebrews 11:6)

Spiritual discipline requires faith!  To live life void of the disciplines modeled by Jesus Christ is live a life void of faith.

Now how can I say that with firm conviction?  For one thing, the only life that really brought pleasure to the heart of God was the life of Jesus.  This is due to the fact that His entire life was lived in faith.  Therefore, the only way for any one of us to please the Father is to live the same life of faith – the life of His Son Jesus Christ!  That’s what I gain from one of my favorite verses, Galatians 2:20:

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Our faith walk or the exercise of spiritual discipline is only possible through the faith of Jesus that is released into us when we believe.  It was only by the will of God that we were moved to new life.

The faith of Christ indicates that Christ Himself is the originator and the 'source' of this faith in us. It illustrates His faithful work in persuading us, because He is the substance or essence of our belief.  So the point is – the faith of Christ is a persuading power!  If I am crucified with Christ, then I live persuaded by Christ to live as He lives.  I cannot live the way I want to.  I, by the faith of Christ working in me, am compelled to walk as He walks and discipline myself as He was disciplined.

There is a difference between ‘faith in Christ’ and the ‘faith of Christ’.  Through the Scriptures, we notice the ‘faith of’ far more prevalent than ‘faith in’.  Galatians 2:16 makes this very clear to us.

“Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.”

The way one comes into salvation (by grace and through His faith) is the way one is sustained through life (by grace and through His faith).

Therefore, spiritual disciplines will be an expression of faith, the faith of Christ that is given to everyone who believes.  There will be a persuasive power at work in a true believer to engage God through these disciplines - to commune with God and grow in love and likeness!

Many say they have faith.  But do you have the faith of Jesus operating within you?  If so, then the life of Christ will be emanating from you to some degree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Tammy, My Love and My Life!

"The Simple Gospel - Is it so Simple?"

Sounding the Trump is Not an Injustice to Trump