Happy Birthday Tammy, My Love and My Life!

I wanted to try and figure out a way to have as many people as possible wish my sweet Tammy a happy birthday. After all, it is a big one! She is turning 60 on June 9th. Now I know some of you are appalled that I would tell my wife's age, but she is proud of getting old, uh, I mean older. She tells everyone how old she is and can't hardly wait to turn 60. So it's okay! So I would love for everyone to comment on this blog not to necessarily comment on my blog about my wife but to use it as a way to express a 'happy birthday' to her or even share a word about her and what she has meant to you. So please respond below as I would love to sit down and read all of your kind words with her.

Now, let me share what she means to me. I met Tammy when I was about 11 years old at church. She and her family were regular members. Me and my family were, at best, occasional attendees. At that time, we were just acquainted with each other never realizing what the future held for us. Several years later we found ourselves not only attending the same church, but attending the same school. Over the course of time, we became more than acquaintances. We became friends. She was a cheerleader and I was an athlete. She dated the star running back and I dated everyone else - well, that doesn't sound right, but what I really mean is that I kept my options open. Our friendship began to grow strong through our high school years. We sat together in church mostly because she didn't want to be bothered by guys at church (her boyfriend attended another church). So I was kind of a friendly buffer for her. After all, she was the most beautiful girl wherever she went and everyone knew it. Over time, as we sat together in church and  hung out together at school with all our friends, something began to happen between us. Eventually, she broke up with her boyfriend and though there were others, none seemed to be right for her. I also became less and less interested in others, mainly because she began to capture my heart.

At the age of 15, I talked my mother into letting me drive our car and take Tammy out for her 17th birthday (yes, she's 15 months older than me). Of course, I didn't have a drivers license, only a learner's permit. But I convinced my mom that because Tammy had her drivers license it would be okay for me to drive with her in the car. So she believed me and I took Tammy out even though we were still just good friends. We went to Red Lobster and I gave her a huge stuffed dog and a sun dress. How special is that!?!

From that time forward, I believed I had found my girl. I was falling in love but I kept my feelings hidden! Now, it was up to the most beautiful girl in the world to fall in love with me. It took a little while but something was happening in her heart towards me.

The summer of 1978, she and I joined our youth group on a mission trip to Mexico. We agreed that we would sit together on the bus the entire time in an effort to ward off others. That was the trip that sealed our destiny. It was where we fell deeply in love and knew that we were meant for each other. Four years later, we were married and the rest is (as they say) history!

I have certainly not been a perfect husband. I am flawed in many ways. But one thing is for sure, Tammy is absolutely a perfect wife and mother. She is the most real, authentic follower of Christ of any person I have ever know or ever heard about. I have known her for nearly 50 years. We have been in love for nearly 45 years and we have been married for nearly 40 years. I can't imagine what my life would be like without her. I don't want to even think of where I would be if she had never entered my life. I am the most blessed man in all the world and everyday I am grateful that she is mine! Let me close with these words expressing my heart in a silly but sincere way. From the movie, "The Wedding Singer", my sentiments are:

I wanna make you smile whenever you're sad, Carry you around when your arthritis is bad. All I wanna do is grow old with you. I'll get you medicine when your tummy aches. Build you a fire if the furnace breaks. Oh, it could be so nice, growing old with you. I'll miss you, kiss you give you my coat when you are cold. Need you, feed you, even let you hold the remote control (not sure about that). So let me do the dishes in our kitchen sink. Put you to bed when you've had too much to drink. Oh I could be the man who grows old with you. I want grow old with you!

Happy 60th birthday babe! It's been a great run and the best is yet to come! I love you!

I wanna make you smile
DmDm
whenever you're sad
EmEm DmDm
Carry you around when your arthritis is bad
CC
All I wanna do
GG DmDm CC
Is grow old with you

CC
I'll get your medicine
DmDm
when your tummy aches
EmEm
Build you a fire
DmDm
if the furnace breaks

CC
Oh it could be so nice,
GG DmDm C7add9C7add9
growing old with you

FF
I'll miss you
FF
Kiss you
CC
Give you my coat when you are cold

FF
Need you
FF
Feed you
GG GG
Even let ya hold the remote control
CC
So let me do the dishes
DmDm
in our kitchen sink
EmEm
Put you to bed
DmDm
if you've had too much to drink
CC
I could be the man
GG DmDm CC
who grows old with you
GG DmDm CC
I wanna grow old with youI wanna make you smile whenever you're sa

Comments

  1. That was beautiful! Tammy, you were always so kind to me and my nieces and nephew. I may not know you well but I do appreciate the few times I got to speak to you. The southern in your voice always put a smile on my face. Have a wonderful birthday sweet lady! And God Bless you!!!
    Love Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had always been comfortable going to small churches and so choosing to come to the Gate was a tough one. There are so many stories I could tell but the one that sealed the deal for me in the very beginning was when you, Tammy, came up to me at the first women’s Bible study I attended and said “Now your Syndee S-Y-N-D-E-E correct?”, it blew my mind. I had very few Pastor’s wives take the time to know who I was and especially how I spelled my unusual name. Since then, you have spoken into my life, the lives of my children and so much more. You have loved my girls as your own. Thank you for your love, honesty and leadership. Happy 60th birthday!!!
    Love,
    Syndee Davis Ü

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Miss Tammy!!!! I so remember when pastor Ron told us your family was moving from Atlanta to Victorville, with 4 kids!! I thought, oh my, from the beautiful south with tons of trees and green everywhere, to the very hot and brown and dry desert. Being a transplant myself from West Palm Beach, I knew it was gonna be tough. Then I met this soft spoken truly a woman of God, who loved NASCAR!!!! What were the chances!!! Instant connection, even though she being a big fan of Jeff Gordon and I a big fan of Dale Jarrett, we became friends. Oh how I prayed for you and your family to make our church your permanent home. And y’all did! Tammy you are such a role model and inspiration to me. I see Jesus in you, pouring out His love to everyone you meet.I consider our friendship to be a true gift from God. Happiest 60th birthday!! Love you sweet ( Grits) “Girls raised in the South” friend. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS... I am 11 months older than Howard. Love our young men! ❤️

      Delete
  4. Words... how do I put down in words what you mean to me? The english language (or any other global language for that matter) does not have words powerful enough to describe the beautiful, strong, gorgeous, kind, loving, faithful, sincere, elegant, thoughtful, organized woman that you are. I am ever so thankful that Our Lord saw fit to send the Howard family to the High Desert and thankful that you loved the Lord enough to stay when things here were not always desirable. The relationships and bonds you have formed by being you will be everlasting and true. The Christensen family looks forward to serving with you and the Howard family for as long as the Lord allows. Thank you & Happy 60th birthday, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Tammy, I already posted a birthday wish, but for some reason it did no post so I will try again.
    You are truly the ultimate southern belle! Proper, soft spoken, kind and loving too. You are the "sweet" in sweet tea. There is the other side of you which is the "sassy" in sarsaparilla, to which you would probably say, "Oh bless her heart!"
    I pray your birthday will bring you every desire you have petitioned the Lord for in your private prayer time. Have some fun too because sixty is nifty!
    Hope it's okay to post since I am no longer a current member at the Gate, but a member emeritus instead!
    Much love and blessings,
    Marilea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Tammy!! You are a blessing...not JUST to Randy and your family...but to all of us at The Gate!!
    We know that we haven't been around as much...but It has been a joy working and serving with you over the years. Here's to many more Birthdays and fellowship together!!

    Charlie and Sally

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Tammy , you are very Beautiful and very kind to everyone . I love the way you go around the church and say Hello to everyone .Have a Bless day and enjoy your day .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Miss Tammy! You’ve always been a lovely example of what a godly woman looks like. You always reach out with your love and encouragement to everyone, making everyone feeling special.

    I’ll never forget the road trip to Hearst Castle that you, Isabel, Beth, Teri, and I took several years ago. It was so lovely to get to know you on a more personal level, and to share some great laughs. I hope we’re able to meet up again in the not-too-distant future. Much love to you, Tammy! Sister Mary Margaret ❤️😊💕

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs. Tammy you have spoke so much in my life and done so much for me and my family. You have been there for me no matter what. You have protected me from so much even though at the time I probably didn’t see it. Something that I love that will always stick with me is the first time you called me your girl. You saying that to me told me you loved me so much and that you had my back no matter what. To this day whenever you introduce me to some one and say this is my girl or in conversation calling me your girl makes me so happy and feel so loved by you. And I love an appreciate all that you do for me and my family. I love you so much!
    -
    Love your girl
    Kaylee ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tammy,
    Thank you so much for everything you do at our church. You have been a continual source of love and joy for the people of Gate. We are truly blessed to have you and Randy with us.
    Paul Rittman

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Tammy
    Thanks for always making us feel special , you are such amazing women of God . Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Tammy. You are so "Special" to us.
    You also have a way of making others feel special too. Enjoy your birthday and may God bless you with many more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy 60th birthday, Tammy! Thank you for all that you do for the Gate Church family! You are a blessing & a great role model for us women, wives & mothers. I'll never forget the time back in 2004 when I was 7 months pregnant with Natalie & I was to have surgery to remove an ovarian cyst even though it might cause the baby to be born prematurely. At church one Sunday, you were standing by the door & as soon as Paul & I came in, you came over & told me that you'll be praying for me. I was deeply touched by your kind & caring heart! Even though you hardly knew me then, you took time out to encourage me during one of the most scariest & most apprehensive times of my life. Me & the baby got through it fine thanks to the prayers you & others have made on my behalf. I hope you have a one-of-a-kind birthday & may there be an ever increasing power & anointing of God upon your life so that you can continue to touch more & more people for His glory! Love & blessings, Cynthia Rittman

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did such a huge heart fit in such a lovely petite lady? You are so open and loving. I felt like I had known you for years the first time we spoke. You exude peace and comfort even if it's only a smile from a distance. We are all blessed by you Tammy! Linda Brown

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wishing an amazing lady an amazing Birthday!! EnJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tammy you follow God in a way that allows others to follow you as you follow Him. I will never forget you talking about Plilippians 4:8 & 9 and saying that lovely is a very high bar. I have never looked at that passage the same way since. You have a incredible family and they rise up and call you blessed as they should. May your latter days be better than you could imagine. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My dearest Tammy! I love how you seem to have a very true and steady countenance of joy and peace. It is inspiring. I am always grateful when I get to spend time with you. I love you dearly. Happy 60th to you!! Diana H ❤️😘🎈🎂🎁

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday Beautiful Tammy! Not sure where to even begin and end with words. We appreciate, love and highly respect you. You are different than any woman I have ever known. You are genuine. You are strong. You are kind. You are loving. You are patient and so generous. You don’t worry about trivial matters. And you are confident in the One who made you. When I think of you, two things stick out to me. The First being prayer and the second vision. You are probably the only person I truly trust when they say “im praying for you.” Haha, Probably because things in my life changed when you were praying for me. I knew you were praying for me. God used your prayers to move some mountains in my life. And your constant pointing to scripture and truth brought me to Hunger for God’s presence which brought comfort to some of the most painful and difficult times in my life.
    The second is vision. I admire and want to be more like you in the area of clear vision and purpose for my life, the life of my family, my son and those around me. The way you speak to who people are and to who Jesus sees them as is truly a fruit of your prayers for those you love. How does she do it?! Haha Your Intimacy with the Father is evident.
    My relationship with Jesus changed because of your prayers and my life changed when I began to see myself, family and others the way Jesus sees them. It began with glimpses of it in my sister, and continues to be deeply nurtured by your example. What a gift you are. Treasured and deeply loved. Highly respected, trusted and admired. Not sure how we got you in our lives, but I’m so thankful that God drew you all to the High Desert. Not sure where my relationship with Jesus would be without our great Pastors, spiritual father and mother. Forever changed by your love Tammy. We love you so much and pray for many more years of favor and peace and joy in the Lord!
    We Praise God for the blessing of you!
    Happiest 60th Birthday! Woo Hoo 👏🏻 🎉

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Simple Gospel - Is it so Simple?"

Sounding the Trump is Not an Injustice to Trump